In 1882 Olof Bergstrom, a minister from Goteborg, Sweden, was impressed with the fertile Platte Valley on the Oregon Trail. He purchased eight blocks of land from the Union Pacific Railroad and laid out a township four blocks long and two blocks wide. The main street, Lake Avenue, was first called Winchell Street. It was renamed in 1920 to match the layout of the rest of the streets in town. The Swedish settlers were later joined by many German settlers who took advantage of the farming opportunities here. Our community is now comprised of many different nationalities.